Our current unit is a dance unit! We have been practicing different line dances, learning some new dances through a Just Dance game, and students have been creating their own 32 count line dances. Along with this, we have been learning about the different bones in our body. Review information for the bones can be found by clicking "Assignments".
In 3rd-8th Grade we will be starting our flag football unit. If weather permits, we will be going outside so if students want to bring a sweatshirt to PE they can and remember to wear athletic shoes to school on PE days in case we do go outside. Any review material will be posted under the "Assignments" tab at the top of the website.
I'm excited to start the 2017-2018 school year! This year in PE we will be playing some team sports, individual sports, and participating in different fitness activities. We will be trying some new activities and it should be a fun year.
Reminder to 6-8th grade students to bring deodorant (non-spray), their PE uniforms, and PE shoes.
We are beginning our archery unit for 6-8th graders! To review or practice the 11 steps, read below or watch the video for more tips!
1) STANCE: open target side foot and shoulder width apart
2) NOCK ARROW: grab below the vanes, thumb down, lift up and over vertical bow **always point arrow tip toward target**
3) DRAW HAND SET: hook the bow string in the archer's groove
4) BOW HAND SET: center the bow's grip under the lifeline
5) PRE-DRAW: bring the bow up to face target and rotate bow arm elbow down and away
6) DRAW: with draw arm parallel to the ground, smoothly pull the string towards the face
7) ANCHOR: index finger of draw hand on corner of mouth
8) AIM: align the string and arrow tip on the target
9) SHOT SET UP: maintain active bow muscles while keeping arrow tip pointed to target
10) RELEASE: relax the hooked draw hand fingers
11) FOLLOW THROUGH: allow arm to relax to shoulder and look to target to see what you can do better next time
For our quiz, make sure you are familiar with the 11 steps, how to run through the range (whistle signals and safety), and certain parts of the bow (arrow rest, nock locator, cam, string).
6th-8th Grade Review:
-know how to perform a clear shot, drive shot, and smash
-know basic rules of our version of speedminton (boxes, middle line service, when to switch serving (every 3 serves), how to keep score
-how speedminton differs from badminton or tennis
4th-5th Grade Review
-how to serve in speedminton (body position, racket position, follow through)
-how the clear shot, drive shot, and smash are different from each other
-safety with speedminton
This year we did a great job raising money and awareness for the American Heart Association. As a school we raised over $1,700 to help stop cardiovascular disease! Great job everyone!
6th-8th Graders make sure you are familiar with the following muscles (know where they are and some exercises that can strengthen these muscles):
(see the file below to review the muscles)
Lacrosse Skills/Terms to Know:
-Positions (Attack, Midfielder, Defender)
Next week, 4th-8th grade students will have a quiz over some skills/rules of Wiffleball. Here are some review topics you need to be familiar with.
-throwing & catching skills
-balls, strikes, outs
-positions (fielder, pitcher, catcher, first base, second base, third base)
-throwing & catching skills
-components of the swing (batting)--load, stride, follow through
-health related fitness components
-balls, strikes, outs (count= (balls, strikes))
-positions (listed below)
We will begin our fitness testing starting this week. Students will be completing the PACER test, curl up test, and push up test. Also, this fall we will try to get outside if the weather is nice. If it is colder outside, make sure to bring a sweatshirt and keep it in your PE locker!
Mr. Jahnke's P.E. Updates
This page will contain posts for both students and parents and will be updated as regularly as possible!